The Charcoal Latte is the latest trendy drink, with a black or gray color that makes it particularly photogenic. It’s also a really healthy drink that acts as an anti-inflammatory and may be able to treat gastrointestinal issues. Some people also say that charcoal lattes can help treat hangovers and are good for detoxing!
I actually love drinking these in the mornings and they are so easy to make! If I’m making them for friends, I love using my trendy clear mugs for serving, because why not?! Throw an edible flower on top for extra health benefits and a little flair!
Why are these so beneficial for detoxing? In simple terms, charcoal binds to poisons and toxins in the gastrointestinal tract and stops them from being absorbed into the bloodstream. The toxins are then passed out of the body in your stool. Simple! If you’re on medication, I’ll advise you to consult your doctor before drinking these due to charcoal’s ability to bind toxins (and sometimes medications).
– 1 cup of coconut milk (canned is ideal, or find a carton with just coconut milk as the ingredients)
– ½ tsp. activated charcoal powder
– 1 tsp. vanilla extract
– 2 pitted dates (or date syrup)
1. Heat the coconut milk in a saucepan until it’s just about to simmer. Do not boil, or the fat will separate. We just want to heat it gently.
2. Add it to a blender with the dates, charcoal powder, and vanilla extract. Blend until frothy.
3. Add to your mug of choice, and top with cinnamon and an edible flower and enjoy!
Let me know what you think of the Charcoal Latte experience after trying this! Tag me @AskHeatherMariannaBlog in any posts of you making this, or comment on my post on IG with your thoughts/experience!
XOXO, Heather Marianna